I guess you’re wondering what BTS means? No, I’m not talking about the K-pop boy band. I’m not even talking about s3*. I’m talking about the other three letter “s” word… SIN. Oftentimes we, we being young(er), single, Christians, are told not to sin or we are going to hell. I agree 100% with that actually in that a habitual life of sin does result in eternal separation between God and man. However, with that fact stated I want to move us beyond that. When people come out of the darkness and into His marvelous light, they need an alternative. Well, God gives us that alternative. Here are ten things better than sin that I want to share with you from my personal experience.
- Experiencing the presence of God
- Experiencing God literally lift a burden off of you
- Hearing the voice of God
- Obedience to God’s Word
- Receiving Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior
- Receiving the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit
- Revelation of scriptures to your heart
- A worship song when it hits the chords of your heart and you Remember who God is and what He’s done for you
- Helping someone in need
- Seeing someone receive salvation
- BONUS– winning victory over sin in your life!
When I tell you there is not enough time for me to expound on each and every one of these things, there truly is not enough time. When I choose salvation over sin, I experience the love of Jesus Christ in full effect. I see miracles! I grow through the conviction of Holy Spirit! I develop authentic testimony that draws people to Christ like a moth to a flame! I position myself to be used by God! THAT is the zest of life! THAT is better than SIN! Being used by God for WHATEVER He wants you to do!
While you’re on this journey what can you do? Here are ten things to DO rather than sinning:
- Try out a God-glorifying hobby– now this doesn’t mean you have to memorize the 66 books of the Bible or color code flashcards with Bible verses on them. I am a new soaper! I make artisan cold pressed soap. How is that God-glorifying? Because I include Him in it. I pray and ask for Him to give me creative ways to bless people through this hobby.
- Sing at the top of your lungs your favorite worship song
- hang out with like-minded friends doing God-glorifying activities
- Take yourself out to eat! Sit at a table, not the bar, and enjoy a yummy meal!
- Take a long walk– these really bless me. I just walk until my feet get tired and my head and heart are clear of junk and focused back on Jesus
- Read your Bible
- Cook a meal and share it with others
- Go to church
Beloved, God wants to see you win the victory over sin for good! How? Funny you ask that, I asked the same thing and God led me to a familiar passage of scripture and a rather long passage of scripture. One taught me how not to sin, and the other, why.
How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.Psalm 119:9-11
The key there is “living according to your [God’s] word” and hiding the word in your heart. We need the word of God to live better than sin and do righteousness rather than sin. The Passage that told me why was Isaiah 56: 1-8:
56 This is what the Lord says:
and do what is right,
for my salvation is close at hand
and my righteousness will soon be revealed.
2 Blessed is the one who does this—
the person who holds it fast,
who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it,
and keeps their hands from doing any evil.”
3 Let no foreigner who is bound to the Lord say,
“The Lord will surely exclude me from his people.”
And let no eunuch complain,
“I am only a dry tree.”
4 For this is what the Lord says:
“To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths,
who choose what pleases me
and hold fast to my covenant—
5 to them I will give within my temple and its walls
a memorial and a name
better than sons and daughters;
I will give them an everlasting name
that will endure forever.
6 And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord
to minister to him,
to love the name of the Lord,
and to be his servants,
all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it
and who hold fast to my covenant—
7 these I will bring to my holy mountain
and give them joy in my house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and sacrifices
will be accepted on my altar;
for my house will be called
a house of prayer for all nations.”
8 The Sovereign Lord declares—
he who gathers the exiles of Israel:
“I will gather still others to them
besides those already gathered.”
The why is that He made room for us! Go and sin no more.