The holiday season can be truly beautiful for many. But for others, for various reasons, this season can hold a lot of stress. Some are balancing being cheerful for others’ sake with feelings of grief. Grief can be rooted in a loss of a loved one, loss of finances trying to make other people happy, a loss of peace, you name it. I understand. For that reason, I am inviting you to play a little game of hide and seek.
I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.Proverbs 8:17
I can hear you now, “Jerrica, I do not have time for hide and seek or any other childish games right now. I need to go grocery shopping, find a sitter for the kids so I can go Christmas shopping, and clean my house because I’m hosting a bunch of my over-critical family members who can find dirt in a snowstorm but cannot find their glasses sitting on the top of their head!” If you keep reading, hear me out. I am not suggesting that you rally up all your friends and draw straws to see who is going to be the seeker. I am suggesting that you do the following:
- Hide from your self-imposed obligations– this does not have to be for days on end, maybe start with 20 minutes. You can hide in your car, your closet, stay a few more minutes at work (off the clock), or even hide in the bathroom (door locked so your kids don’t barge in).
- Do not hide alone– now I am not suggesting that you bring along your boo and sneak a kiss like back in the day, no ma’am! Bring your Bible, a journal, and pen. This is not your average hide and seek. You need to be equipped to do business with God. Hey! That could even be a way to get you to hide– tell folks you have a business meeting scheduled and put your phone on do not disturb.
- Seek– seek our loving Father, our awesome Savior, and His sweet Holy Spirit with all you got! Sing the song you heard when God first won your heart. Go down memory lane with Jesus and thank Him for all that has transpired this year and how you have grown through it. Let our Comforter, Holy Spirit, lift the hurt and grief, whatever it may be. Seek the seal of what God is impressing on your spirit through His word.
- Find– find a scripture to hang your hat on and be at home in. Write it on a sticky note and post it on your mirror, or dashboard, wherever! Set it as a sweet reminder of being in the presence of God.
- Play again– hide and seek God the next day, and the next, and the next.
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.Matthew 7:7-8
The holidays mean different things for all of us. Whatever the season means to you, take Jesus Christ with you through it. If it is filled with joy for you, hide and seek from a place of joy and gratitude. If it is filled with grief for you, hide and seek in truth of where you are, but expect to not be the same after you find that the lover of your soul is there to ease the grief and give you beauty for ashes.
Need help with where to start with some scriptures? Try these:
- Book of John
- 1 John, 2 John, 3 John
- Book of Luke
- Book of Genesis